Managing Director/Industrial-Organizational Psychology Consultant(2008-present)
Leading Dimensions Consulting, LLC.
- Developed, trained, and advised a network of affiliated consultants, coaches and trainers in the US, Europe, Australia, South Africa, and India, specializing in leadership selection and development.
- Developed and published the Leading Dimensions Profile (LDP), a validated psychometric assessment of adult personality, intended for talent selection and development applications.
- Developed and published the Organizational Engagement Review (OER), an assessment of individual and organizational engagement for private and nonprofit organizations.
- Conducted research and development for leadership assessment and emerging leader programming.
- Developed extensive narrative report content (for leadership selection and development) for two leadership assessments, internationally-distributed by SHL: Global Personality Inventory (GPI) and Computer Adaptive Personality Scales (CAPS). The CAPS was the first adaptive assessment commercially available in the US.
- Collaborated with international stakeholders, psychologists, and executives in the commercialization of research conducted with the US Department of Defense.
- Facilitated leadership retreats and advised/directed non-profit organizations in comprehensive strategic planning.
- Developed a web-based survey development and delivery mechanism.
- Developed multi-rater/360-degree feedback programming (LD:360Program).
Vice President of Client Solutions (2008)
SHL International., Atlanta, Georgia (SHL/PreVisor purchased CraftSystems, Inc. in 2007)
- Guided the Client Solutions team of industrial-organizational psychologists in evaluating and engineering scientific assessment solutions for organizations.
- Acted as subject matter expert (SME) in matters of employment law, compliance, selection system design, and psychometrics.
- Acted as liaison between behavioral scientists, researchers and practitioners.
- Coordinated the development and delivery of training curriculum for selection science, legal defensibility, and testing solutions for internal field sales force.
Chief Executive Officer (2005-2008)
CraftSystems, Inc., Bradenton, Florida (CraftSystems was purchased in 2007 by PreVisor, Inc.)
- Guided the firm into an acquisition strategy whereby CraftSystems became part of an international provider of assessment solutions, extending the depth and breadth of resources available to clients and partners.
- Provided leadership and oversight for all aspects of CraftSystems' activities, including human resources consulting, applied psychometrics, research, and marketing to corporations in numerous industries worldwide, from small market to Fortune 500 (including the top 50).
- Supervised the creation of strategic partnerships with suppliers, professional associations, and competitors in various markets for sustained growth and market leadership in employment testing and human resources consulting industry.
- Promoted the development of a new corporate mission, while reaching a 300% increase in earnings during my tenure. Negotiated debt restructuring and implemented staffing plans that led to strong profitability and predictable cash flow.
Chief Executive Officer (2005-2008)
- Conducted research and consulting assignments for organizations in the US, Europe, Asia, and Australia such as: MetLife, FedEx, ADP, Nokia, Shell Oil, Time Warner Cable, Coca-Cola, Hilton Hotels, Fairfield Resorts/Wyndham, U.S. Army, AXA Financial, Principal Financial, Southern Farm Bureau, Kforce Professional Staffing, Ameriprise Financial, Wells Fargo Bank, Lance Foods, and Blue Cross/Blue Shield.
- Conducted and led teams in research initiatives in areas such as: Employment Selection Program Design and Implementation, Development of Training Needs Assessments, Job Design/Competency Modeling, Succession Planning, Leadership Development Programs, and Customer Satisfaction/Client Development Initiatives.
- Conducted research into the measurement of personality traits in the workplace and contributed to the creation of the Craft Personality Questionnaire (CPQ) ®, a psychometric instrument used more than 500,000 times for employee selection and development across a variety of industries in the U.S., Canada, U.K., Ireland, Australia, India, and China.
- Conducted research into employee and managerial feedback. AuthoredCraftSystems Feedback Dimensions, a multi-rater assessment of several leadership dimensions related to employee retention and development.
- Conducted research into the measurement of cognitive abilities in the workplace. Authored the Oxford Learning Aptitude Survey ®, a cognitive abilities assessment used over 100,000 times for employee selection and training needs assessment.
- Conducted research into employee retention drivers and co-authored CraftSystems’ Staff Culture Survey, an employee satisfaction assessment used to predict and reduce employee turnover.
- Delivered workshops, seminars, and conference presentations for clients regarding various HR and research related topics.
- Developed volumes of technical research papers (based on studies conducted by CraftSystems, Inc. and underwritten by numerous Fortune 500 companies). Topics included employee retention, selection, and tactical Human Resources issues.
- Nominated for the Society of Human Resource Management’s Michael R. Losey Award for Research in the Field of Human Resources (2004).
- Articles mentioning my work or including commentary have been published in the Wall Street Journal, Staffing Industry Review, Selling Power Magazine, Staffing Management Magazine, and a variety of newspapers, including the Miami Herald and the St. Pete Times.
Research Director (1997-1998)
CraftSystems, Inc., Bradenton, Florida
- Developed the Research Brief Series, and the Research Portfolio, both collections of published and unpublished psychometric research produced by CraftSystems staff.
- Coordinated efforts of external psychologists, researchers, and consultants in the study of performance and turnover prediction.
- Provided training and consultation for the implementation phases of client-specific hiring and selection programs.
- Conducted qualitative research studies, including exit interviewing, to identify organizational culture and geographical influences on employee retention within major North American corporations.
Associate Professor of Leadership and Management – Senior Faculty Rank (2009 - Present)
LeTourneau University (Online), Longview, Texas
- Provide instruction for graduate students in MBA and MSL programs, specifically regarding Individual, Organizational and Strategic Leadership content as well as Human Resource Management/Development.
- Developed courses in Self-Leadership Assessment & Development, Work-Life Balance, Art of Leadership, Dynamics of Teams & Communities, Organizational Development, Strategy Focused Organizations, and Spiritual Elements of Leadership, including the majority of MSL program curriculum.
- Provided project management for the development of the MSL degree program.
Adjunct Professor (2009 - Present)
Florida Institute of Technology (Florida Tech), Melbourne, Florida
- Provide instruction for undergraduate students in Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, and Statistics via online courses.
Assistant Professor and Instructional Mentor (2008 - Present)
Liberty University, Lynchburg, Virginia
- Provide instruction for undergraduate students in Human Resources Management and Human Resources Development via online courses.
- Serve as Instructional Mentor, while providing personalized oversight, coaching and development for a team of 15-20 adjunct professors.
Adjunct Professor (2008 - Present)
Strayer University, Newington, Virginia
- Provide instruction for graduate students in Human Resources Management, Talent Management and Organizational Behavior. Also taught undergraduate students in Fundamentals of Electronic Commerce via online courses.
Adjunct Professor (2008 - 2012)
Axia College of the University of Phoenix, Phoenix, Arizona
- Provided instruction for undergraduate students in Organizational Behavior via online courses.
Adjunct Professor (2007 - Present)
Warner University, Lake Wales, Florida
- Provide instruction for graduate students in the Master of Science in Management program as well as undergraduate students in the Organizational Management program. Taught Human Resources Management, Leading Group and Teams, Employment Law, and Compensation Management to students via online courses.
- Developed curriculum for Organizational Leadership and Human Resource Management programming.
Adjunct Professor (2001-2003)
Trinity College of Florida, Trinity, Florida
- Provided instruction for undergraduate students in the Bachelor’s degree completion program. Taught Human Resources Management, Managing Groups and Leadership, and Managerial Economics, including one semester via online course.
Adjunct Professor (1997-2000)
University of Sarasota, Sarasota and Tampa, Florida
- Provided instruction for undergraduate students in the Bachelor's program. Taught Human Resources Management, Compensation Management, Organizational Communication, Quantitative Statistics and Business Strategy/Policy courses, including the inaugural course for the Bachelor’s program at the Tampa campus.
- Provided instruction for graduate students in the Master of Business Administration program. Taught Effective Communication for Managers, Quantitative Statistics and Organizational Behavior courses in addition to independent study courses in Human Resources, Training & Development and Compensation Management.
Adjunct Professor (1996-1997)
Florida Metropolitan University, Tampa, Florida
- Provided instruction for undergraduate students in the BA and MBA programs. Taught Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, International Economics, Leadership & Ethics, and International Business Management courses.
Director of Student and Faculty Services/Assistant to the Provost (1995-1997)
University of Sarasota, Sarasota, Florida
- Coordinated staff of Student Services, Admissions, and Faculty Services departments in support of University operations.
- Coordinated the Veterans Affairs and International Student Offices, including all reporting and benefits operations.
- Taught non-credit courses to graduate students in the use of computer technology, including statistical, spreadsheet, database and word processing packages.
- Designed and implemented the University's Internet presence.
Community And Service Experience
Board Member (2008-2013; 2001-2006), President (2004-2006; 2009-2010), and Vice President (2003-2004; 2011-2013)
Chair, Organizational Effectiveness/Institutional Research Committee (2001-2003; 2010-2011)
Chair, Human Resources Committee (2007-2009)
Bradenton Christian School, Bradenton, Florida
- Provided oversight to the administration of a private, Christ-centered, preK-12 school.
- Represented a constituency from the School Association in the direction of a vision-driven strategic plan that included academic oversight and capital improvement initiatives.
- Guided school administration in the deployment of sound financial methods, including zero-based budgeting, revenue modeling, and balanced-budgeting approaches.
- Developed forecasting models used in predicting enrollment and retention.
Member (1986-Present), Sunday School Teacher (2004-2012)
Praise Team Member (2007-Present)
Bradenton Christian Reformed Church, Bradenton, Florida
- Active member of the church community, volunteering on various committees, teaching Sunday School (9-11th grades), and participating in worship music (guitar).
President (2000-2003), Vice President (1999)
Bradenton Christian Foundation, Inc., Bradenton, Florida
- Directed an investment portfolio charged with providing ongoing financial support to the operation of Bradenton Christian School. Worked within the community to solicit donor support, worked with the Executive Committee in managing the operations of the Foundation, and led investment advisory experts in the allocation of financial resources.
Board Member (2002-2006)
New Hope in Christ International Ministries, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Provided guidance to the Executive Director of an educational ministry to impoverished children in Brazil. Developed charitable marketing literature for the ministry and organized efforts to fund and equip an educational facility.
Flotilla Member (2002-2003)
United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, District Seven, Bradenton, Florida
- Volunteered in support of the U.S. Coast Guard, including safety and security patrols during Operation Patriot Readiness. Received training in communication and patrol operations.
Founder and Executive Editor (1998-2004)
Journal of Modern Business, www.dcpress.com
- Founded and managed an electronic, peer-reviewed journal aimed at a serving both the academic and practitioner markets in the fields of human resource management, organizational development, and leadership. Worked with various educational institutions to secure financial support, editorial participation, and readership.
- Waldo, R. D., Malan, G., Wharton, R. & Cobanoglu, C. (2014, May). Cultural Perceptions of Managerial Style: Is the perfect “high-high” manager an American stereotype? Session presentation at the Global Interdisciplinary Business-Economics Advancement Conference, Tampa, FL.
- Malan, G., Cobanoglu, C., Waldo, R. D., & Yang, W. (2014, January). The Use of Personality Styles of Hotel Managers in Designing Curriculum in Hospitality Schools. Poster presentation at the 19th Annual Graduate Education and Graduate Student Research Conference in Hospitality and Tourism, Houston, TX.
- Griffith, R., Peterson, M., Evans, A., Waldo, D., Quist, J. & Benda, A. (2008, April).
Complex problems, simple solutions: contemporary research in applicant faking behavior. Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology Annual Conference, San Francisco, CA.
- Evans, A., Waldo, D., Griffith, R., & Malm, T. (2008, March). Faking your way to the top. Association of Test Publishers Conference, Dallas, TX.
- Evans, A., Waldo, D., & Monnott, M. (2007, August).
Does personality moderate cognitive ability scores: continued quasi-experimental study of typical and maximum job performance. American Psychological Association Conference Annual Conference, San Francisco, CA.
- Waldo, D., & Evans, A. (2007, June). Using personality assessments in community service organizations: breaking the mold. Paper presented at the International Public Management Association for Human Resources Assessment Council Annual Conference, St. Louis, MO.
- Waldo, D., & Evans, A. (2007, June). Implementing selection assessments in small organizations: it’s a small world after all. Paper presented at the International Public Management Association for Human Resources Assessment Council Annual Conference, St. Louis, MO.
- Evans, A., Waldo, D., & Parks, K. (2007, February). The impact of personality on timed cognitive assessments. Association of Test Publishers Innovations in Testing Annual Conference, Palm Springs, CA.
- Waldo, D. (2004, August). Coming full circle with 360-degree feedback: using multi-source assessments to improve leadership effectiveness. Paper presented at the Texas Bankers Association Annual Operations and Human Resource Conference, San Antonio, TX.
- Waldo, D., & Daughtrey, R. (1999, March). Using personality assessment in employee selection. Panel discussion presented at the Annual International Leadership Conference of Express Personnel Services Franchisees, Orlando, FL.
Professional Association Memberships
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP)
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Malan, G., Cobanoglu, C., Waldo, R. D. (2015). The Use of Personality Styles in Designing
Curriculum in Hospitality Schools. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, 14, 2.
- Waldo, R. D., Wharton, R. B., & Parks, K. M. (2014). Achieving and Relating: Validation of a
Two-Factor Model of Managerial Orientation. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 5, 6.
- Waldo, R. D., Malan G., Wharton, R. B. (2014). Cultural Perceptions of Managerial Style: Is the perfect “high-high” manager an American stereotype? Swiss Journal of Research in Business and Social Sciences, 1, 3.
- Malan, G., Cobanoglu, C., Waldo, R. D., & Yang, W. (2014). Managing with Style:
An Analysis of Work Style of Hotel Managers. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, 13, 2.
- Waldo, D., Craft, L., & Evans, A. (2006).
The basic eight traits: a guide to the administration and interpretation of the Craft Personality Questionnaire. Bradenton, FL: DCPress.
- Waldo, D., & Craft, L. (2005). Technical manual for the Oxford Learning Aptitude Survey. Bradenton, FL: CraftSystems.
- Waldo, D. (2005, July 28). Recession-proofing employee motivation.
Westchester County Business Journal (also published by 36 other trade journals and news periodicals).
- Waldo, D. (2005, June). The changing face of banking. Credit Union Management., 28, 6.
- Waldo, D. (2001, September). Downsize Wisely & Rarely. Exchange Magazine for Business.
- Waldo, D. (2001, July). Lessons for employers in a slowing economy. The Industrial-Organizational Psychologist.
- Waldo, D. (2001, April 19). Economic downturn may impact employee motivation. HR.com.
- Waldo, D., & Parks, C. A. (2000). Caught in the crossfire: third world economic development and first world environmentalism.
Journal of Third World Studies, 17.
- Parks, C. A. & Waldo, D. (1999). Personality assessment and the predictability
of employee success in an intangible sales environment. Journal of Psychology and the Behavioral Sciences, 13.
- Parks, C. A. & Waldo, D. (1999). Assessing voluntary turnover likelihood using personality traits measured during
pre-employment selection. Current Research in Social Psychology, 4.
- Waldo, D. (1999, Winter). Atilla the Hun would have made a great sales manager. Employment Marketplace.
- Waldo, D. (1999). Rediscovering Commission Motivation. American Compensation Association Journal, Spring.
- Waldo R. D. & Parks, C. A. (1999). Exhibit: classes of employment tests. (Professional Sales Management, a textbook by Joe Haire). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Waldo, D., Craft, L., & Parks, C.A. (1999). Finder’s, keepers: selecting, motivating, and retaining peak performers. St. Petersburg, FL: Pinellas Press.
- Waldo, D. (1998, July). Picking your PEO’s personalities. Professional Employers Journal.
- Waldo, D. (1998, June 25). Identifying the halo effect. Lafayette Business Digest.
- Waldo, D., & Parks, C. A. (1998). Predicting Sales Performance: Accuracy and Compatibility in
Personality Measurement. Journal of Modern Business, Spring.
- Waldo, D. (1998). Appendix E. case study. (Comprehensive Personality Profile User’s Manual). Libertyville, IL: Wonderlic Personnel Test, Inc.
- Waldo, D. (1997). The Development of Public Sentiment: An Assessment of Causality. Business & Public Affairs, Fall.